It has been a busy few months and I have not put a blog post together. I thought I would do a round–up recap post outlining some of the goings on in the community because a lot of fun and positive things have been happening.
Since the beginning of June we have:
- had a joint council meeting with our friends in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan (http://saultstemarie.ca/Newsroom/June-2017/Sault-Ste-Marie-Ontario-and-Sault-Ste-Marie-Michig.aspx)
- went on a bike ride with the Minister of Tourism (http://www.kisssoo.com/2017/06/12/celebrating-launch-lake-superior-water-trail-expansion-great-lakes-waterfront-trail/)
- held a Why I Love Canada Contest (http://saultstemarie.ca/City-Hall/City-Departments/Community-Development-Enterprise-Services/Community-Services/Recreation-and-Culture/Canada-150/Why-do-you-LOVE-Canada.aspx)
- did some Queen Street Cruising (https://www.queenstreetcruise.com/)
- opened a disc golf course at Penhorwood Park (https://www.evensi.ca/disc-golf-course-grand-opening-penhorwood-park/214919280)
- cut the ribbon at the Finnish Resthome’s newest building, Uusi Koti (https://www.evensi.ca/juhannus-festival-amp-uusi-koti-open-house-the-ontario/204867399)
- opened a patio at Outspoken Brewery (https://www.outspokenbrewing.com/)
- walked the International Bridge (https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-international-bridge-walk-648279)
- launched and held our Canada 150 celebrations (https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/sault-ste-marie-launches-into-canada-150-celebrations-506471)
- hosted an awesome Multicultural Day (http://www.saultstar.com/2017/06/27/multicultural-day)
- gave the Key to the City to a super awesome person (https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/roberta-bondar-receives-key-to-the-city-road-named-after-her-658897)
- watched a parade of paddles (http://ssmrca.ca/events/parade-of-paddles/)
- made a great health care announcement (https://news.ontario.ca/mohltc/en/2017/07/ontario-expanding-cardiac-care-in-sault-ste-marie-1.html)
- celebrated PUC’s 100 year anniversary (http://www.ssmpuc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=content&menuid=4&pageid=1003)
- had a downtown street party (https://saultonline.com/event/downtown-street-party/)
- unveiled a mosaic (https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/saulites-contribute-to-mural-mosaic-marking-canadas-150-669401)
- cut the ribbon on the largest battery storage project in the province (https://www.northernontariobusiness.com/regional-news/sault-ste-marie/energy-storage-plant-launches-in-sault-ste-marie-675546)
- participated in a great Rotaryfest (https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/rotaryfest-whats-new-and-whats-back-664541)
- hosted a movie at Bellevue Park (http://www.saultstar.com/2017/07/08/park-bandshell-gets-av-boost)
- hosted another awesome movie in a parking lot (http://www.sesqui.ca/en/events/sault-ste-marie/)…and that isn’t all of it!
As different as all of these activities are they all share a common thread: great people around your community doing great things to make our community a better place to live. It takes everyone – volunteers, employees, citizens – and as Mayor I am heartened to see so many people contributing.